The road to becoming a citizen in the U.S. is a long process. There is a lot to consider for you and your family. Getting life insurance is one of the most important decisions you can make. Fortunately, you can get life insurance if you have a Green Card or a Visa.
For Green Card and Visa holders, insurers typically require you to have lived in the U.S. for two or more years. And not all insurance companies will ensure you with a Visa – the type of Visa matters.
How Do I Qualify For Life Insurance?
As a Green Card or Visa holder, you typically qualify for life insurance. However, there are aspects that insurers consider during your application. These include:
- Your time of residence: Insurers prefer that you have lived in the U.S. for as many consecutive years as possible with a minimum of two years. Not living in the U.S. long won't necessarily stop you from getting coverage, but the road is easier for those who have lived in the U.S. for several years.
- Whether you're remaining in the country: The risk of insuring you goes up if you plan on moving out of the U.S. in the near future. You're most likely to qualify for insurance if you plan to remain a resident of the U.S.
- Country of origin: This is especially true for Visa card holders.
What Do I Need To Apply?
There is certain information you must have when applying for life insurance, including:
- Copy of front and back of Green Card or Visa
- Date of Birth
- Country of Origin
- Length of Residency
- Current Address
- Name of Employer/ Annual Income
- Travel plans for at least the next year
- Social Security Number
There may also be state-specific requirements for application. Make sure to double check what your state requires to apply for life insurance to make sure you have all the documentation necessary.
Working with an experienced agent can ensure the right insurance carrier is selected for a smooth underwriting experience. Many of our clients have a Green Card or Visa, contact us so we can help make sure you are approved for coverage.
With over 40 years of experience RWM Insurance finds our clients the lowest rates available. Get your free quote today - click here.